Graduate Studies

Click here for Prospective Student Resources from the Graduate College.

Master of Music Degree

The Greenwood School of Music offers a Master of Music degree with options in Applied Performance and Conducting (band, choral, and orchestral).

In addition to advanced studies on his/her instrument, the student who chooses the applied music option will develop a refined knowledge of the literature composed for that instrument and will also learn the teaching and technical approaches that have been developed for that musical medium. Performing opportunities, both solo and collaborative, are an important component of the degree candidate's studies.

For the student pursuing the conducting option, the degree stresses challenging studies in conducting skills, repertoire, and rehearsal techniques. The degree candidate will focus on his/her particular area of specialty and will have numerous opportunities to conduct appropriate choirs, wind bands, orchestras and string groups, and chamber ensembles.

The Master of Music is a thirty-two hour degree. In addition to applied lessons and courses in repertoire and pedagogy, each option includes courses in music research and bibliography, music theory, and music history. Elective courses permit the student to explore additional interests. Students complete a final degree project that is the creative component of the degree plan. A final oral examination is also part of the degree requirements.

To access the Graduate Student Handbook, click here

Applying for Graduate School

For admission to the Master of Music degree program, a student must be accepted into both the Graduate College at OSU and the graduate music program. Applying to the Graduate College is a completely on-line process. To set up an application account and begin the process, click here. For the Greenwood School of Music, each applicant completes an audition, scheduled with the major professor. To begin the scheduling process, contact the Coordinator of Graduate Studies.

In situations of critical timing or particular needs, one can enroll in course work for the M.M. prior to or without official acceptance, earning a maximum of nine credit hours as a special student. Similarly, a maximum of nine credit hours may be transferred from a graduate program in music at another school.

The Greenwood School of Music offers a number of graduate teaching assistantships each year. The application for a graduate teaching assistantship is part of the online degree application. If you have any questions, contact the Coordinator of Graduate Studies.

Prospective String Graduate Students who are interested in the Patti Johnson Wilson Graduate Fellowships in String Orchestral Performance should click here for program specific information.